The fashion runways have been sprinkled with ethereal textures this season - including voile, lace and tulle. This diaphanous trend has transposed into interiors, with a move away from heavy wood and rattan furniture, towards lucite and translucent materials. Here's how to get the on-trend look, with authentic vintage Lucite pieces from Anemone, plus tips on how to care for your lucite buys:
Lucite Drinks Carts
Lucite and metal make great vintage bedfellows, with this chunky 1970s Italian drinks cart a great example; a versatile piece it is on casters, so can be moved from room to room as you entertain - piled high ready to serve your aperitivo in style.
Lucite is a brilliant material to use for console and coffee tables - they provide space for storage and display, without cluttering a room. A lucite coffee table is great paired with a statement rug, as the transparent surface allows the bold pattern to shine through. A lucite console table is a clever design trick in narrow hallways to give the airy illusion of space.
Lucite lamp bases are a great grounding for bold shades, allowing the print or colour to lead. They also reflect the glow of a lamp beautifully (below) - bathing a room in light.
5 tips to help you care for Lucite:
- Ensure you use a clean microfibre cloth, even small particles can scratch the lucite surface.
- Choose a cleaning product specifically designed for plastics (Brillianize is great) - as many multi-use glass/furniture cleaners can leave lucite cloudy over time.
- Use a hairdryer on cool to blow away any larger pieces of dust or dirt, dusting them off with a cloth can cause scratching.
- To prevent scratches to the base of items, you can add felt pads to protect them.
- Keep out of harsh UV rays and extreme heat, as this can cause warping and discolouration.